Sunday 13 April 2008

Coping with Bad Creating Days

Thanks to Nicky (www.myspace.com/nickyclarkestudio) for inspiring my subject this week.

I know you will appreciate what I’m talking about when I tell you of days when the paint won’t work for me and the subject gets lost and the brain is in a state of frustration.

What is the best way to cope with these days where clear flowing creativity eludes us?

Well, here goes:

  1. Step away from the area!! Take 3 deep breaths and go and make a cup of your favourite drink. Relax!
  2. When you are in a state of calm, decide whether you want to go back to the project or take some time out.
  3. If you decide to take time out, remember NOT to beat yourself up because you’ve had a bad session – creating is creating, and there are no mistakes, only experiments. You are still talented and deserve to be an artist. Your contribution is undiminished, even at rest.
  4. If you decide to go back to the project, ask yourself 2 questions. Will you feel better if you carry on with that project, or is it time to move onto something else for now?
  5. Whichever you decide, do the 6 phrase breathing exercise (from my previous blog, “Stopping Before We Work??”).
  6. Next, remind yourself of your basic elements to your art. Are you following these? For example, colour theory, subject matter, personal statements…
  7. If you are trying something new, do you have too many changes happening at once? Do you need to do some research?
  8. Is the light good in your work space, and is the music right? Or do you need to turn it off? Is the room the right temperature?
  9. Now I’m getting you to think about this process, is there anything else to consider?
  10. Finally – keep your mind open to allow flow at all times. Allow yourself an extra break or two today where you get some fresh air.

    Oh yeah, and Nicky reminds me that sharing with a friend always helps to dispell the negative frame of mind :)

To finish I have a small challenge for you!

With your favourite music on, doodle with your 3 primary colour pencils. Remember, this is fun, not a test of your ability! After 5 minutes, swap hands and doodle with your other hand. Carry on for another 5 minutes.

What can you see?

How you feel?

Write it down beside your doodle and pin this up on your notice board.

Thanks for joining me this week, and I wish you fun and happiness in your creating.

It’s what you were born to do :)

1 comment:

Heaton said...

Great post, I have only just read it today, which is odd as I have spent the past few days doing the opposite..
A painting I am working on is not going well, instead of walking away and making the coffee.. well, you don't won't to leave something that isn't right do you?? big mistake, I tried to fix it.. made it worse.. then it just became a spiral of worse and worse mistakes as I desperatley tried to salvage something..
I will try to adhere to your policies today as I go back into the studio and see what awful mess I left there.. but this time I will just walk away and go and make that coffee instead..